Re: The purpose of /etc/default ?

Jari Aalto wrote:

> In a sense, each package install may potentially carry new verion of
> the default configuration and keeping it along with package would then
> be clean.

But that will work fine with either method.  The old default will be
removed before the new package is unpacked in both cases.  There will at
any given time be at most one instance of this file on disk, so it
really doesn't matter that it's put in a versioned directory name or not
-- except for the fact that the postinstall/preremove is needlessly more
complex.

> IT just requires little scripting to determine
> /usr/share/doc/package-<VER>/, but it's not tat hard.

Yes but why impose extra maintainer effort, complication, and chance for
error on at least a dozen existing packages for no clear benefit?  Isn't
volunteer maintainer time a precious resource that we don't want to
waste?

Brian