Re: is there a standard way to get the g-b-s to apply multiple patches?

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Eric Blake wrote:

> According to Brian Dessent on 1/11/2006 7:03 AM:
> > Example:
> >
> > $ ./foo-1.0-1.sh prep conf build
> > # decide that for some reason you want to start over
> > $ rm -rf foo-1.0/
> > $ ./foo-1.0-1.sh prep conf build
> >
> > However, the second build will not contain the Cygwin specific patches,
> > only the upstream patches.  This is because they were deleted at the
> > "rm" step.  To start over you have to re-unpack the toplevel -src
> > package, because it contains things that live under foo-1.0/.
>
> Eek, you're right.  I'll have to modify my procedure to create
> foo-1.0.upstreampatches.tar.gz2 (or some such name), rather than sticking
> the patches in foo-1.0/.  Hopefully I will get it working as part of my
> efforts to prepare a bash-3.0-15 in the next week or two.

Apologies for not having the time to think this through right now, but may
I suggest that there always be exactly one patchfile -- either a real
patch, or a (compressed) tarball?  Then the patch step could detect which
one it is and either apply it directly, or unpack the tarball and then
apply the patches it finds in it.  FWIW, the patches in the tarball could
unpack directly into PKG-VER/CYGWIN-PATCHES.  Does this sound ok?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/

that!" -- Rostand, "Cyrano de Bergerac"