Re: Prefab Program Selections (was: RE: Regrouping on "installationprofile" idea)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 10:44:04AM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> >Actually setup.exe *can* handle that, but it'll be
> >
> >Prefab Program Selections
> >   1.0-1   1.0-1    [] []   1k   C Development
> >
> >(with many more spaces -- i.e., the words "C Development" will not be
> >readily seen).  We could, of course, reorder the columns in category view,
> >but that won't help people using the current version of setup.  So I agree
> >with CGF -- the category name ought to immediately make it clear that
> >there's interesting stuff beyond the right edge of the chooser...
>
> Right.  I was just representing what you mentioned in private email
> where you bemoaned the fact that the above isn't really feasible.  I
> don't call the above "handling that".  1.0-1?  1k?

I think I misunderstood what you meant by "that". :-)  Indeed, setup
cannot display tree package structures reasonably.  But adding more words
to the package name doesn't help.

> >Nope.  The point is that we want to convey the fact that this *category*
> >contains groups of packages that allow performing certain tasks.  The
> >names of the packages themselves aren't as important.
>
> "Nope" meaning what?  "FOO Prefab Program Selection" *is* wordy.

"Nope" meaning "it won't have to be".  Or, rather, "it won't help".
I wasn't disputing the wordiness...

That's why I suggested "Usage profile".  The "profile" part may be
unintuitive, but the "Usage" certainly conveys the right flavor.

> >> How about 'Bundle' ?
> >
> >I like "Bundle", but it still doesn't convey that one only needs to
> >install one such bundle for each task that they want to do.  How about
> >"Task-oriented Bundles"[*] or something?  The "Task-oriented" part clearly
> >shows that these are bundled with a specific task in mind.
> >	Igor

So, does ".Task-oriented Bundles" make sense to people?  Or
".Usage-oriented Bundles"?

> >[*] Of course, it'd be ".TASK-ORIENTED_BUNDLES"...
>
> I really don't like the need for underscores or dashes and I *really*
> don't like the upper case stuff.  When I see all upper case on a screen
> I think there's something not set up right somewhere.

Well, it'll have to be attention-grabbing.  Barring color, ALL-CAPS is the
only way we can do this, right?  The underscores you are probably right
about -- I was just trying to avoid the need to quote the category name.
BTW, the dash in this case is not a divider, but a legitimate hyphen --
it'd be there even in the normal case.

Even though this has to be compatible with the current versions of setup,
I'd still like to add some magic to setup to support something like this
(e.g., auto-expand any category that starts with a ".", or reorder columns
in category view so that the package name comes first).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu