Re: Trial plotutils packages again

James R. Phillips wrote:
--- Charles Wilson wrote:
Your patch to the two configure.in's is much simpler: are you using an older, less stringent autoconf, or are you just ignoring the warnings? (NOT a showstopper)

I am attaching a text file of the warnings I receive now when I autoreconf the
patched source directory.  I didn't think the warnings sounded serious, but I
am not certain.

No, they are not serious. But they are annoying (to me, but I'm not the maintainer). It is possible (PURE speculation) that support for acconfig.h and friends could go away in a future autoconf release -- since they are deprecated in this one. In that case, you'd have to use something like my major surgery on configure.in...

(I didn't bother trying to fix the YYFLAGS warning).

I think I know why you had problems with my patch...If you look at the prep2 step of my shell script, you'll see that the autotools are called explicitly -- and in different orders for libxmi and <toplevel>. That's the order in which they worked for me; any other order and I got errors; go figure.

Now, *autoreconf* doesn't give you that flexibility. So, if you applied my small patch by hand and then just invoked autoreconf, I'm not surprised that you had errors.

Also, remember that the automake wrappers aren't "smart" anymore. You have to either call them directly (automake1.9) or ensure that 'alternatives' is configured so that the one you want is linked via /usr/bin/automake. e.g.

/usr/sbin/update-alternatives --config automake

and select the one you want to be the "default".

Also, I didn't intentionally omit any of your "small" patch - I
thought I had it all.

No, you got the important bits (although in slightly different form: C-style casts instead of C++-style, etc). The only real differences are in the configure.in's -- and if it is current working for you (which it is) I'd leave well enough alone. You've been thru enough with this ITP. :-)

But as I said, I added some sid patches to it.

Yeah, I saw the doc updates and stuff. Cool.

--
Chuck