Re: updated: guile-1.6.7-2, guile-1.7.2-2

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 09:23:42PM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
>Christopher Faylor writes:
>
>> Either you're using an older version of cygwin or that's not a cygwin
>> error.
>
>Yes, I was using 1.5.16.

Well, that's pretty distressing.  Despite all of my pleas to have people
test the latest snapshot, you're not even running the latest official
release...

(Yes, I know.  "real work", "real life", "machine problems", "dog ate my
cygwin release", "abducted by space aliens", etc.)

>>It looks like something is calling LoadLibrary directly rather than
>>using the cygwin dlopen().  Cygwin was changed in 1.5.18 to use
>>strerror style output in the result of dlerror.
>
>Indeed, after upgrading the error looks nicer
>
>    $ guile
>    guile> 21:19:15 root@Abbicci:~
>    $ mv /bin/libguilereadline-v-12.la /lib/
>    21:20:45 root@Abbicci:~
>    $ guile
>    ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
>    ERROR: file: "libguilereadline-v-12", message: "No such file or directory"
>    [2]21:20:47 root@Abbicci:~
>    $ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/lib guile
>    ERROR: In procedure dynamic-link:
>    ERROR: file: "libguilereadline-v-12", message: "No such file or directory"
>    [2]21:21:05 root@Abbicci:~

Ok.  As I said, cygwin's dlopen routine searches /usr/lib.  If guile
isn't finding files there, that would indicate a bug in cygwin.
However, we'd need more debugging to find out what is going wrong and to
verify that guile is actually not somehow specifying an absolute path or
something.