Re: ATTN Harold Hunt - Re: https no longer supported with wget v1.10.1

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Oct 2 20:58, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

Got it...

One question though: when you built it, was it statically linking the ssl libs? When I just rebuilt it, it statically linked them... which makes me think that the openssl install dependency is wrong, since I'm pretty sure there aren't any config files needed from the openssl package and the dynamic libraries, by definition, aren't needed for statically linked apps...

What do you think?

I know, you didn't ask me, but I'd prefer if applications are linked
against the OpenSSL shared libs for, hopefully, obvious reasons.

Right, I prefer that as well... I figured the preference was shared. No pun intended :)

What I wanted to know, though, was historically whether wget has linked against the static or shared libs so I would know if I was missing something that caused the shared libs to work.

Unfortunately, it looks like wget must have always been linking against the static ssl libs because it uses a custom 550 line m4 script to find the ssl libs and it doesn't seem to know anything about Cygwin or to prefer shared over static libs. I don't know that I want to open that can of worms just yet, since I usually end up having to fix about a weeks worth of bad autoconf in order to get things working again. In the mean time, I think I'll release the statically linked version to maintain the status quo.

Harold