Re: [not GTG] Re: ITP: bzr -- Next-generation distributed GNU Arch compatible version control (Python)

Eric Blake <ebb9-PGZyUNKar/Q@public.gmane.org> writes:

| According to Jari Aalto on 9/8/2005 2:26 PM:

| Minor nit - typo (s/inplemented/implemented/)

Fixed, thanks.

| Looks okay on inspection.  As for actually using the package, I've never
| tried arch or bzr, so I am just trusting that the binaries do what they
| were intended to do - that is not a showstopper, since the package is
| already in the debian testing distro.

It's very promising and easy to use changeset based distributed
version control software. Ubuntu team is moving all packages under bzr
- out of svn in some time schedule.

Would fit to Cygwin development as well. People could publish their
maintained packages from their own repositories. Handing over
maintenance of some package would only require "clone" of someone's
repository.

| it depends on cygbuild:

The helper library cygbuild.pl is only needed for making source
packages, not binary. Therefore the message "To build a source
package...".

| [...]
| ./bzr-0.0.7-1.sh: line 1143: type: cygbuild.pl: not found
| [NOTE] To build a source package you may need to install
| http://cygbuild.sourceforge.net/
| -- Done.

It should have created the binary package. If it didn't then there is
some bug. There should have been message

    -- Making package [binary]... PATH/NAME

And the end should have been indicated with:

    -- [finish] Removing  ... THE/SOURCE/DIR

It appears that the finish comes out with an error code in this
situation. I've now fixed this.

| Any chance you can ITP cygbuild first, and make it part of the
| cygwin distro? It sounds useful, at any rate. I think a user should
| be able to recreate a binary tarball using what is available as part
| of the standard distro, rather than having to resort to grabbing
| something from CVS.

I could, but the version would be outdated soon. Updates and
corrections are best routed through CVS. I think it would need more
test users to try it out until bundling with Cygwin. Install for
developers is simple:

  $ cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/cygbuild co cygbuild
  passoword: [return]
  $ cd cygbuild ; make install-cvs