Re: Observation for ALL maintainers who provide dlls (was Re: questionfor perl maintainer)

Christopher Faylor wrote:

I vaguely remember somebody more knowledgeable (Danny? cgf? Mumit?) than I suggesting that --e-a-i-b was a bad default choice -- but I don't remember who or why, and I can't find it in the archives.

I vaguely recall this, too.  I'm probably being terribly inconsistent by
even suggesting it.  Is it possible that some DLL was defaulting to
cygwin's default load address?

Robert Collins wrote:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/libtool/2001-06/msg00073.html

"I've also uploaded a binutils src tarball with the modified ld. I've
modified it a little further to avoid some cygwin dll symbols it was
picking up by mistake. A patch for that against a recent binutils is
there as well. My patch also differs from Paul's original in that I've
left disabled the auto-image-base option, which can cause issues with
cygwin, due to a issue previously discussed. That option isn't part of
the auto-import logic and thus shouldn't be part of this discussion IMO.
(And should not be enabled by default!)."

(Later in the thread, I appear to have agreed with Robert; but it seems that it was because I agreed that the issue of getting "auto-import" into the binutils baseline was a separate issue from whether "auto-image-base" should be the default or not, and that those two issues should remain distinct.)

Still looking for the "issue previously discussed".

--
Chuck