Re: MAINTAINERS: New OpenSSL 0.9.8 release

On Jul  7 12:28, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> Wouldn't it be useful to use another name for the openssl DLL like I did
> for perl (cygperl-5.8.dll instead of including the micro version)?

Can you elaborate, please?  If you mean that the DLL should be
just named 0.9 instead of differing between 0.9.7 and 0.9.8, etc,
then the answer is no.  As I mentioned already, the versions are
not binary compatible.  You can't expect all applications linked
against 0.9.7 to run under 0.9.8, and this was already the case
when the step from 0.9.6 to 0.9.7 has been made. Compatible
versions are marked by a trailing character.  The next binary
compatible bugfix release will be name 0.9.8a, then 0.9.8b, etc.
In this case, the name of the DLL will be kept the same, of course.
Btw., this isn't Cygwin specific, but the same situation on all
platforms.  Blame the version scheme of OpenSSL (even the core
developers aren't happy with it).

Red Hat, Inc.