Re: Libtool: erroneous relinking

Max Bowsher wrote:
I'm running into a problem building the apache subversion modules, where libtool builds them fine, but then screws up when it tries to relink them for installation.

Now, I thought that relinking was only for altering the linked-in rpath, from the build directory to the final install directory? If so, then since DLLs don't have an rpath, is there any point whatsoever in relinking them?

I'd like to know whether the answer is to simply disable relinking entirely, before I dig into the guts of libtool.

Hmmm...a few questions, first:

(1) are you [a] re-libtoolizing with the cygwin installed libtool, or [b] are you using whatever version of libtool the upstream maintainers originally used?

(2) if [a], which version are you using? libtool-devel-1.5.10-x, or libtool1.5-1.5.18-1 ?

(2) if [b], which version are THEY using? The fix to avoid relinking-on-install has been in the official libtool1.5 tree for ages, now -- like 18 months or so.

In any case, as annoying as it is to manually muck with ltmain.sh, turning off relinking is safe -- probably safer than leaving it on if libtool insists on erroneously relinking when it shouldn't -- THAT way lies madness if /usr/lib/ contains older versions of the libs you're trying to build/install.

--
Chuck