Re: Welcoming Brian Dessent as setup maintainer

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Brian Dessent wrote:

> Christopher Faylor wrote:
>
> > I've asked Brian Dessent if he would like to become an official
> > maintainer of setup.exe and he has graciously accepted.
>
> On that note, I would like to start an open dialog about bugfixes and
> features for setup.  As all of you know, things seem to move glacially
> slow with development of setup.  Perhaps that's good in that we don't
> surprise our users :) however it does mean that there is a lot that
> could be improved.
>
> [snip]
>
> Here are some other things that I would like to address.  Please let me
> know if you think they are good or bad ideas.

One other thing that might help modem users is having setup display the
size of the package they're about to download (that way, they won't be
surprised when downloading an update of xorg-x11-f100 takes hours).

I have had a preliminary patch on this for a long while, but no chance to
work further on it.  There are some bugs, but the basic functionality is
there.  Brian, would you be interested in reviewing it?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT