Re: setup.exe sucks

Brian Dessent wrote:

The Cygwin DLL cannot be dynamically loaded AFAIK so that won't work.

"cannot" is an overstrong word, I think.

No, the deal is this: the maintainers of Cygwin have no interest in showing how this can be done, because then you'll get a mess of people complaining about problems when calling Cygwin from VC++ and such. Not to mention the licensing arguments that would result! I side with the maintainers on this, but for a good cause, I think the motivation to overcome this objection would apper.

1. Query the service manager and enumerate all the services that have
cygrunsrv.exe as their target.

Yes, I thought of that, but it doesn't take into account things like shell windows still running when you try to do an upgrade.

Clearly stopping services is the most important thing, because there is no visual representation of them. One can't look at one's screen and realize that there are users of cygwin.dll, like one can with a terminal window. But if one stone can get two birds...