Re: setup RFC: Ditch homegrown http/ftp code and use a library?

On Sat, 2004-11-13 at 11:57 +0100, Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Max Bowsher wrote:
>
> > * Package file scarcely ever change whilst keeping the same name.
> > Also, they are compressed, so a small change is likely to cause the
> > entire contents to change anyway. Therefore, rsync would not help.
>
> It could eb somewhat used anyways just doing a "ln -s" of the old file
> on the new name, THEN rsyncing it... I shoudl try but in theory it
> should read it for calculating the diff, then if writes a NEW file
> with the transfer and delete the old, so it would both have the "pro"
> of rsync and the "pro" of not copy the ACTUAL file (creating all the
> symlinks for every "newer" package in setup.ini is not so much work).
>
> In fact, I think I will try and do such a bash script to do this, to
> "test" the idea.
> Maybe only for packages ALREADY locally present.

Calculating which file to use as a basis for rsync is easy without
symlinks: Its just the 'closest to the version being downloaded'. Define
closest as you would intuitively: two package files with the same x.y.z
components are closer than two with the same x.y and different z.

As for using rsync on package files, there is strong evidence from the
debian project that it is marginal, unless you have the zlib with the
patched hunk-reset which is much more likey to keep consistent data in
successive minor releases of a package. For bz2, I don't know for sure,
but I suspect a similar issue will apply.

Rob