Re: Pending patches for generic build script

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004, Schulman.Andrew wrote:

> >> Whatever happened to the idea of getting rid of all the extraneous
> >> &&\ crap in gbs?  Was the idea rejected, or forgotten?
> >> --
> >> Chuck
> >
> > Neither.  Someone actively producing new package versions (i.e., not
> > me) was supposed to test it and make sure it works properly.  This
> > would be especially useful on packages that don't use external source
> > and don't require heavy modifications to the CVS version of the GBS.
> >
> > I'm not quite sure how to best go about doing this -- either change
> > the GBS now and ask people to test it (and retract if they complain),
> > or have people make the changes themselves and submit a patch
> > afterwards, or create a CVS branch...  All three solutions have their
> > drawbacks, but I'm willing to make the actual changes in CVS if it's
> > more convenient. Any takers?
>
> I'm doing a fair amount of packaging and gbs-building right now, and I'd
> be glad to implement and test this.  I don't have any opinion about
> which is the best method for submitting the changes.

Andrew,

If you use stock gbs (no local modifications) for your packages, just edit
all the lines and change "&&\" to "" and "; \" to "|| true" (to make sure
the errors in commands are indeed ignored).  Also, put a "set -e" at the
beginning of the script, and see if the script stops properly if any of
the steps fail, especially in functions.  If not, insert some more "set
-e"s, probably one for each relevant function, until it works as expected.

> Almost all of the trailing \'s can be removed, but a little more care is
> needed in removing the &&'s, because these have a desirable effect of
> stopping the processing as soon as an error occurs.  In most places this
> isn't needed, but in some places it's useful.

Exactly.  That's why "set -e" is needed -- the idea is to switch from
"&&\" to "set -e".

When you're done testing, you can either send me a patch, or just give me
the go-ahead and the list of places where you had to insert "set -e"s for
everything to work smoothly.

Thanks,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw