Re: pre-ITP: New category Gis?

On Tue, Oct 12, 2004 at 09:54:35AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>I doubt it'll actually increase customer support calls...  Also, could
>it be that one reason the categories aren't used too much is that they
>are rather arbitrary in some cases, and don't serve to group similar
>packages well enough?  I could elaborate, but just to give a short
>example, finding Apache with all the related modules in the Web/Httpd
>(or Net/Httpd) subcategory is more logical (i.e., easier) than trying
>to pick out all of the Apache-related things from the Web (or Net)
>category, isn't it?

If there are apache modules which are not in "web" then that's a bug.

I really really don't think that adding subcategories is a useful
endeavor at this point.  Improving the setup GUI so that it is easier to
find things and so that it is more obvious that Category is a clickable
entity may be, though.

>Oh, and one more useful feature of categories is the "Install all"
>facility -- that would be used more often if the (sub-)categories were
>smaller.

Ok, I'll agree that that is a good argument for subcategories, but, again,
I'm not getting the feeling that anyone is actually installing categories
even now.  I think that's due to the fact that it isn't obvious that you
can do this.

I think that the package selection part of setup.exe needs huge amounts
of work, personally.