Re: pre-ITP: New category Gis?

Christopher Faylor schrieb:
On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 04:38:35PM +0200, Reini Urban wrote:

If not I'll put proj, geos and gdal into Libs,
postgis into Database, and mapserver into Web.

Where does Debian place these packages? Or aren't they available on Debian?

Some are in "Science". Some are not yet in.

The FreeGIS maintainers should be better able to answer this,
because they maintain the debian and other packages:
  RedHat 7.2 (i386), Mandrake 8.2 (i386), SuSE 8.0 (i386),
  Debian 'woody' 3.0 (i386)
  http://freegis.org/cd-contents.en.html

Debian itself:
  They are years behind, as with every debian package.
  Categories: http://packages.debian.org/unstable/

proj is at Science
  http://packages.debian.org/unstable/science/proj
gdal is in Science, but has no debconf template.
grass is in Science.
qgis is in Science.
postgis is ITP'd since a few years. http://bugs.debian.org/146051
  http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/being_packaged.en.html
geos is ready to be ITP'd. but not yet done.

But I really don't know how they divide between Mathematics and Science.
For example "mathomatic" as Math package is in science. Other algebra packages, such as octave, maxima, gap, axiom, yacas are in Mathematics. Also the statistic packages.
octave is imho much more science than math. well.
gmsh or admesh as mesh generators are in Mathematics and not in Science.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/