Re: [setup] CVS module conflicts?

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2004 at 03:30:55PM +0100, Max Bowsher wrote:
> >I suggest you rehabituate to using "cvs update" for setup.
>
> I'll probably regret offering this information since it will probably
> result in a flurry of "No, no! Do it this way!" follow ups but I do
> something like the below to update from the top level:
>
> cvs update -l; cvs update -d */.
>
> This avoids pulling in extra unwanted top-level directories but adds
> newly-created subdirectories.

Right.  This would work for me (with slight modifications), except in
cases where a top-level directory is added to a module (which I have yet
to see happen).  The modifications are needed because I do my development
in an anoncvs tree, to prevent accidental commits.  Once the changes are
finalized, I apply them to a modifiable tree (which I have as a
subdirectory of the anoncvs tree, hence the need for the modifications I
mentioned), so I have to exclude it from the above update command.
Thanks for the recipe.
	Igor
P.S. One more annoying feature of CVS (while we're on the subject, this is
not a bug report) is that if you leave a "/" after a directory name in the
update command (easy to do with tab completion), CVS will check out the
top-level directories into the current one...
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw