Re: how to resolve package file conflicts?

From: Andrew Schulman <schulman.andrew@epamail.epa.gov>

I'm preparing two packages, unison and unison-gtk2, which offer conflicting

versions of /usr/bin/unison.exe -- the first a text-mode client, the second a GTK2 client. How should I address this? Is there a mechanism in the packaging system for identifying or resolving file conflicts?

Hmm. Any relation to the author of the same name?
You can resolve this with pre- and post- install (shell) scripts.
How would you resolve this, with any other packaging system? Without a package system, i.e. from source?
Why do the text & gtk version have to have the same name, in the same place?

Perhaps a better solution, is to solve this in the binary, itself.
Emacs does this with a layer, which checks if it is run in a console, or on X Window.
If you want to run console Emacs atop X Window, you must pass the "-nw" flag (no "-gui" flag needed).
Again, both the text & gtk binaries can be the same binary.