[Updated] ocaml/setup.hint (Was Re: ocaml packaging dependency bug:curses vs. termcap)

On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Robert R Schneck-McConnell wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> > On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Robert R Schneck-McConnell wrote:
> [ocaml linker requires gcc and libncurses-devel]
> >
> > Umm, right.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I'm a bit uncomfortable, though,
> > with making the ocaml package depend on both libncurses-devel and gcc,
> > since those are only needed for the native compiler, and people might just
> > want to use the bytecode interpreter...
>
> FWIW, I was linking in bytecode, but with some external C functions linked
> in as well (with "ocamlc -custom").

Okay, that settles it.  I've added "gcc" and "libncurses-devel" to the
requires: line in setup.hint -- can someone please upload a new version of
just that file from <http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/cygwin/ocaml/setup.hint>.
I'll fix it in the source package for the next release.

> I'd settle for a mention in the README.
>
> Incidentally, for the build requirements you list in the README: I'm
> pretty sure I needed to get some X libraries to build ocaml with labltk
> support...

Right.  I'll need to review that carefully, and I'm pretty sure I
mentioned this in the announcement, but I'll fix the README.

> One more comment for the README.  When running ocaml programs using
> labltk, I would always get
>   exception Protocol.TkError("Can't find a usable init.tcl in the
>   following directories: C:/cygwin/share/tcl8.4 ...
> The solution I found was to either set TCL_LIBRARY or (conveniently) run
>   ln -s /usr/share /share
> Better, I think, would be to configure the ocaml package so that labltk
> looks for init.tcl where cygwin puts it.  Do you know how to do that?
> (I don't.)
>
> Robert

Aha.  Thanks for testing it -- I'll put the above info in the README, and
see if I can configure labltk to look in /usr/share/tcl*...

I'll release an update to the ocaml package as time permits.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw