Re: More setup 2.427 problems.

> The "X-in-a-box" means you want source for that
> package,
> which you will only get if you are installing or
> reinstalling
> that package. Just curious though, why would a
> 'tick' be more
> intuitive in your mind than an 'X-in-a-box'? Both,
> to me, seem
> to indicate you're specifying some kind of selection
> preference
> but maybe I'm missing something here.

First of all, I should have made it more clear that I
meant confusion for newbies. Secondly, I'll explain
how it arose for me and could do so for other newbies:

Maybe the chooser window is different for Install from
Internet, but (Note: I was using Full view) when I
click on the word "Skip" to replace it with a version
number, two boxes usually appear (Not always -
sometimes the source can't be offered to me, and in
rare cases there isn't a bin). In the case of the Base
packages of course, these are there already, with an X
in the box for bin. It was eventually this that gave
away the fact that the X signified I did want the
bin/src(Note, it applies to bin and NOT just source,
and there's a separate box for each). However, having
either misunderstood part of the Cygwin docs (or read
something out of date), I had(and maybe a few other
newbies will) thought pressing the View button circled
me between three views, with the result that I found
myself facing a view which I thought was Full but that
did not include the Base packages. Facing this view, I
clicked on the first thing I saw that I wanted (to
whit a2ps) and find myself facing a box with an X
(bin)and a box without (src). I think you can see now
that there's an ambiguity as to the meaning of X (it
could equally well signify "Don't want") that isn't
present with a tick, which is unambiguously
affirmative in this context.

> I'm not sure if I understand the question.  If it's
> "Can
> I use 'setup.exe' to install packages previously
> downloaded
> to a local directory?", the answer is yes.  Choose
> the "Install
> from Local Directory" option and then point at the
> directory you downloaded the packages to.

I'm afraid you didn't understand the question. Some of
the people reporting problems with setup 2.427 have
reported that it didn't (although it should have)
allow them to "Install from Local Directory"
afterwards. As I stated, there are some rather
long-winded reasons why I can't try to install just
yet. What I was asking was, when a new version of
setup.exe is released, can I simply download it and
use it to install the stuff I've downloaded, instead
of using the current version that might not work.

(At this point, I found the words "message truncated",
so if line breaks differ here it's because I'm pasting
the rest of your reply from a text file)

> Don't make the download directory the same as the
> directory you install Cygwin into. That's the
> only 'no-no'. I'm going to assume that this time
> around you just selected "Download from Internet"
> but it seems at one time in the past when you ran
> setup you choose "Install from Internet". That would
> account for 'c:\Cygwin'. You should note that if you
> plan to "Download from Internet" and then "Install
> from Local Directory" on the same machine, that's
> the same as "Install from Internet". You still get a
> cache of all the files that you can subsequently use
> to install on another machine (if you like) with a
> subsequent invocation of 'setup.exe'.

After *every* abortive attempt I made at the download
(choosing Download, not Install, from Internet - it is
possible I chose Install once by mistake though) (and
there were a few more abortive attempts than the ones
mentioned - sometimes I had to give up because I was
having trouble navigating the chooser, another time
because I didn't have enough time left to finish
choosing packages) Anyway, as I said, after every
abortive attempt I found that c:\cygwin had been
created, and I immediately deleted it (as well as
everything except for setup.exe that was created in
c:\cygcache)

Note that I have not yet attempted, even by mistake,
to "Install from Local Directory"

> 'setup.exe' recognizes any packages in the local
> directory it installs from but you're best off if
> you keep the structure that 'setup.exe' imposes for
> packages available from mirror sites. It just makes
> things more reasonable and understandable through
> upgrades. Also worth noting that if you didn't get
> the source you wanted the first time you
> ran 'setup.exe', you could always run it again.

Thanks, but I was also asking about moving packages
into Cygwin's folder after it's installed - I've
already burnt the downloaded stuff to CD to install on
a (non-Internet-connected) machine, and I'm trying to
find out how to install new packages in, and move
files into, Cygwin on a machine I can't connect to the
Net.

Cheers,

James.