Re: RFC: Packaging O'Caml

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> Igor schrieb:

> >> +1 vote from me.
>
> > Thanks, Gerrit.  At this stage, though, I'm less concerned with getting
> > the votes, and more with the licensing issues.  BTW, you ported the
> > earlier versions of O'Caml to Cygwin, didn't you?
>
> There was not much porting needed, I have it still online here:
> http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/ocaml/
> and see the patch for the latest version I did:
> http://anfaenger.de/cygwin/ocaml/3.07beta2/ocaml-3.07beta2-1.patch
>
> Used this build script:
> [script snipped]
>
> even they stated in earlier versions that threads are not working with
> cygwin.  But I never got to use it really.

Yep, saw that one, thanks.  Your patch is already incorporated into the
official sources, and -with-pthread is the default and is ignored.  It
actually builds OOTB on Cygwin now.  Don't know if threads work, though --
I'm still trying to get O'Caml to run properly (I keep getting the "No
bytecode file specified" message)...  Do you want to discuss this
off-list?

> >> Huh?  It is OSI certified:
> >> http://www.opensource.org/licenses/qtpl.php
>
> > Yes, but GPL incompatible
> > (<http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html>).
> >         Igor
>
> ianal, but i see there are also openssl, apache, and other licenses
> listed where packages are already included in the netrelease.

Yeah, I think I already figured this one out.  The clause in the Cygwin
licensing that Jerry Williams pointed out seems to cover it.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"Happiness lies in being privileged to work hard for long hours in doing
whatever you think is worth doing."  -- Dr. Jubal Harshaw