setup.exe: Install from local directory failing

 I've been using cygwin for a while now, and thought the other day
'Arr! Mayhaps I oughta update this sometime'.
 So, following my usual procedure I ran setup.exe and downloading
packages to my computer, intending to install them later. Well, first
time around I think I made a few misclicks 'cause it was downloading
perl and stuff and I had to disconnect before everything had finished
downloading so I just closed the installer. (Hereby referred to as
execution 1)
 Next time around I was a bit more careful where I was clicking, and
got all the packages I wanted downloaded. (execution 2)
 Everything sat idle for a while until one day when I was offline and
realised 'oh yeah, I downloaded that cygwin stuff... lets install it'.
OK, run setup.exe, Install from Local Directory, choose my packages -
setup closes. (execution 3)
 Hrm, that doesn't seem right ;)
 I tried it a couple more times with the same result. As soon as I hit
next at the 'select package' step the installer closes. The log file
remains unchanged - it still displays the activities of execution 2
(ahh, now that numbering pays off).

 I was thinking perhaps that closing setup.exe mid-download (execution
1) messed things up, but that has a couple of things against it,
namely:
1) MD5 checks
2) I tried deselecting every package except 'clear' (which isn't
currently in my cygwin install), and got the same problem - but I
manually grabbed clear.tar.gz and decompressed+ran it to confirm the
archive's integrity.
 Also, this is a bit hard to check since I'm not sure what file was
being downloaded when I stopped it. (and the log file's no help since I
ran setup again since then, grr...)

 So, I'm stuck. Don't know what the problem could be.
 One other thing - this is the first time I've tried to install cygwin
under Win2000 (used to have 98... hrm... but if this was the first then
how did my current cygwin install get there? copied from the 98HDD?
would that even work? Maybe change that to 'first time I've tried to
update cygwin under win2000')

 Now, a seperate question, regarding those extra packages I got in
execution 1. For example, perl - I have ActivePerl, which is native
windows, so I don't really want a cygwin version. Is it safe for me to
just delete the perl files from my local install directory (so I don't
have to conciously avoid installing perl when updating)? Or is there
some kind of list of available packages maintained elsewhere I'd also
need remove perl from?

 Thanks for any help!

http://au.movies.yahoo.com