Re: [ITP-2] glib-2.4.2-1

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

Dr. Volker Zell wrote:
| PS: By the way I vote for the /opt/gnome2 hirarchy for this package.

As I've stated already, this is also my opinion.

To make this easier for Gerrit to decide, I've written the attached
scripts which should be included in the glib2 package.  The scripts
glib2.sh and .csh are to be installed in /etc/profile.d and add
/opt/gnome2 to all path variables that I could think of.  The
postinstall.sh adds /opt/gnome2/share/aclocal to the aclocal dirlist,
for easier aclocal & autoreconf jobs.

I insist it's a bad idea to not install in /usr something that isn't only used by GNOME, doesn't depend on any GNOME libraries, and will likely be used by the next Midnight Commander (which is part of Cygwin) build. GLib is also used by many other projects which aren't part of Cygwin, including irssi, a CLI IRC client.

I'd like to know why some people want it in /opt or whatever.

Actually, GLib is like audiofile, libxml, libxslt, etc, which are in /usr. I also think all Linux distributions install it in /usr.

IMO, /opt or whatever should only be used for real GNOME packages.

It's such things that makes some people think GLib is a GNOME or graphical library and should be avoided at all.

That's all.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html