Re: [Cygnome2-devel] Re: My pending ITPs / votes & reviews wanted

Hansom Young wrote:

As to the prefix (/opt/gnome2 or standard /), .... headache
If it's not /opt/gnome2, we have to rebuild most packages when we have glib2/gtk2 from
Cygwin net release.
What's the others' opinion?

BTW, did you think about how you're going to set this up?  While
non-glib/gtk dependent libs can certainly go into /usr (i.e.
libart_lgpl, audiofile, esound, etc.), I really like having
glib/gtk+/GNOME in /opt/gnome2; as for the download server, I think
everything for GNOME (glib-and-up dependant) should go into one
subfolder, similar to X11, in order to reduce clutter.

I proposed allowing some packages (or groups, like gnome or kde?) to use /opt/<something>/ here:
A Modest Proposal #1
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-04/msg00305.html

While my "Modest Proposal #2" ("unsupported" packages distributed via the cygwin mirror system) was more-or-less rejected, the /opt/*/ proposal had no outright objections -- but neither did it recieve a resounding "Yes", nor the all-important imprimatur of the grand poo-bah.

Since I proposed it back then, I'm still in favor of it -- for limited use on a per-package explicit-approval-required basis, as is proposed for certain gnomelibs.

--
Chuck