Re: [ITP] re2c (3rd try)

On Wed, 19 May 2004, Max Bowsher wrote:

> Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
> > Hi Max,
> >
> >> The build does work, but I why modify lnconf.sh ? IMO, the point of
> >
> > It doesn't work for me as it is.  I think it should be inlined in the
> > generic-build-script so you may choose to call conf or lnconf at any time
> > simply by changing the list for the 'all' target.
> >
> >> having a standard is so that knowledge of building Cygwin
> >> packages is transferrable from package to package. So, it would be
> >> nicer if you used lnconf.sh in the way it was intended, without
> >> modification.
> >
> > There is no documentation, I couldn't figure out how it should be used
> > (I tried really hard in these five minutes).
>
> The original intent (AFAICS) was for you to be able to simply use the
> contents of lnconf.sh as ${srcdir}/configure, and then use an unmodified
> g-b-s.

Exactly.

> Unfortunately, that plan is spoilt, because patch doesn't restore the
> execute mode on new files.

Whoops!  Didn't think of that...

> You can avoid that by calling it via sh:
>
> conf() {
>   (cd ${objdir} && \
>   sh ${srcdir}/lnconf.sh )
> }
>
> Although, it would be more convenient if g-b-s did:
>
> if [ -f ${srcdir}/lnconf.sh ]; then
>   # do the above
> else
>   # do the existing configure code
> fi
>
> Igor, what do you think?
>
> Max.

I like the former approach better, frankly (except that I'm not very
comfortable with hardcoding "lnconf.sh" into the GBS, so we should just
always execute "configure" via "sh").  Or, maybe we should just say

[ -x "${srcdir}/configure ] || chmod +x "${srcdir}/configure"

instead, and then let events take their normal course...  This will also
cover cases when the "configure" script included with the original source
tarball lacks execute permissions (rare, but possible, I guess).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu