Attention all package maintainers (was Re: [ITP] neon (A WebDAV library required by Subversion))

On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 10:11:28PM -0400, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 02:21:38PM -0700, Brian Dessent wrote:
>>Max Bowsher wrote:
>>
>>> sdesc: "Neon is an HTTP and WebDAV client library, with a C interface."
>>
>>As per <http://cygwin.com/setup.html>, please don't include the name of
>>the package in sdesc.  This will appear as "neon: Neon is an..." in
>>setup, which is redundant.  It should be sufficient to just specify:
>>
>>sdesc: "a HTTP and WebDAV client library, with a C interface."
>>
>>Thanks.
>>
>>(Sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine.  Especially annoying are those
>>packages with an sdesc of the package name.  "foo: foo" looks really
>>stupid in the package chooser.)
>
>Wow.  I agree 100% (not surprising since I wrote the words above).  I am
>astounded by how many occurrences of this there are in the release.
>
>I'm changing these now but I want to make sure that they stay changed.
>I will be submitting a package list of offenders shortly.

Here is the list of packages that I changed:

GraphicsMagick/setup.hint  cpio/setup.hint     grace/setup.hint       postgresql/setup.hint  rpm/setup.hint       ucl/setup.hint
ImageMagick/setup.hint     doxygen/setup.hint  grep/setup.hint        procmail/setup.hint    sed/setup.hint       units/setup.hint
SWI-Prolog/setup.hint      emacs/setup.hint    libungif/setup.hint    psutils/setup.hint     splint/setup.hint    upx/setup.hint
apache/setup.hint          gcc/setup.hint      opengl/setup.hint      rcs/setup.hint         terminfo/setup.hint  whois/setup.hint
bc/setup.hint              gmp/setup.hint      par/setup.hint         rebase/setup.hint      tidy/setup.hint
check/setup.hint           gnupg/setup.hint    patchutils/setup.hint  robots/setup.hint      tin/setup.hint

The list of sdescs is below.  I also got rid of trailing periods
in all of these, for consistency.  I started to make capitalization
consistent, too, but then I got discouraged.

If you object to the wording then submit something with the same style
or, if possible, change it yourself.  Please remember to change any
local copies of setup.hint that you may have so that this doesn't
happen again.

cgf
GraphicsMagick/setup.hint:sdesc: "A collection of tools and libraries for manipulating images"
ImageMagick/setup.hint:sdesc: "A collection of tools and libraries for manipulating images"
SWI-Prolog/setup.hint:sdesc: "Prolog Interpreter"
apache/setup.hint:sdesc: "The industry standard HTTP (Web) Server"
bc/setup.hint:sdesc: "The GNU numeric processing language and reverse polish calculator"
check/setup.hint:sdesc: "A unit test framework for C"
cpio/setup.hint:sdesc: "a program to manage archives of files"
doxygen/setup.hint:sdesc: "a documentation system for C++, C, Java, IDL (Corba, Microsoft, and KDE-DCOP flavors) and to some extent PHP"
emacs/setup.hint:sdesc: "the extensible, customizable, self-documenting real-time display editor"
gcc/setup.hint:sdesc: "C compiler"
gmp/setup.hint:sdesc: "a free library for arbitrary precision arithmetic"
gnupg/setup.hint:sdesc: "GNU's tool for secure communication and data storage"
grace/setup.hint:sdesc: "a WYSIWYG 2D plotting tool for the X Window System and M*tif"
grep/setup.hint:sdesc: "search and print textual input for lines which match a specified pattern"
libungif/setup.hint:sdesc: "a library for using uncompressed GIFs"
opengl/setup.hint:sdesc: "OpenGL-related libraries"
par/setup.hint:sdesc: "a paragraph reformatter, vaguely similar to fmt, but better"
patchutils/setup.hint:sdesc: "a small collection of programs that operate on patch files"
postgresql/setup.hint:sdesc: "a Data Base Management System"
procmail/setup.hint:sdesc: "mail processing program"
psutils/setup.hint:sdesc: "Postscript Utilities"
rcs/setup.hint:sdesc: "The Revision Control System"
rebase/setup.hint:sdesc: "utilities for rebasing DLLs to load at alternate addresses"
robots/setup.hint:sdesc: "fight against maniac robots"
rpm/setup.hint:sdesc: "a package management system"
sed/setup.hint:sdesc: "The GNU sed stream editor"
splint/setup.hint:sdesc:    "a better lint"
terminfo/setup.hint:sdesc: "database for ncurses-style terminal handling"
tidy/setup.hint:sdesc: "a program to clean up and correct messy HTML pages"
tin/setup.hint:sdesc: "A News Reader"
ucl/setup.hint:sdesc: "a portable, lossless data compression library"
units/setup.hint:sdesc: "Converts between different systems of units"
upx/setup.hint:sdesc: "a free, portable, extendable, high-performance executable packer"
whois/setup.hint:sdesc: "retrieves information on domain names, IP addresses, and more"