Re: Two new "categories" created. Comment needed

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> Harold Hunt has just, without any discussion here, created two new
> categories.  One is understandable and probably doesn't require
> discussion.
>
> He's changed XFree86 to X11.  Oddly enough, XFree86 isn't currently
> listed as a category in setup.html so I've added X11 to the list
> of supported packages.

I think this is a good idea, as long as every package that uses X is in
that category.  This includes, IMO, things like "grace", "emacs", "xfig",
etc.  I'd also put "ghostscript-x11" there if it isn't already.

> The other, more controversial addition is ZZZRemovedPackages.
>
> Harold has moved older XFree86 stuff into this directory.
>
> Does anyone have a problem with this new category?  I think it's
> obvious what it is used for.  The question is does it serve a
> useful purpose?  Is the name sufficiently clear?  Does it
> cause any side effects that may not be immediately obvious?
>
> If it is decided that this is a good thing then it needs to
> be documented.
>
> cgf

I believe it's a good idea to have something like it.  A few comments,
though...  First, I don't like the "ZZZ" prefix -- we can probably use
some non-alphanumeric character that succeeds 'z' in the collation order,
e.g., "_".  Second, it should be made clear in the documentation that no
new package should have that category, unless it's an upgrade helper
package.  And third, it would be useful if the removed packages kept their
original categories, with this one prepended to the list (so that it would
always be seen in the "Categories" column in all of the views).

Not as important, but we can also shorten it to "_Removed" or something.
	Igor

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu