Re: Non-US Mirror System

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> [snip]
> It is time that we devise a way for setup.exe to work with both a
> General and Non-US mirror system, similar to how Debian does it.

Is there really a need to do this?  Even Debian seems to have moved away
from this approach:
<http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2002/debian-devel-announce-200203/msg00019.html>.

FWIW, here's a link to a real legal opinion on the export regulations:
<http://www.openssl.org/~levitte/US-export-laws/> (which, summed up, says
that whoever phrased them must have been smoking something illegal at the
time).

Here's another message (quoted) that implies that the export regulations
are less stringent for open-source software (which is what we have here):
<http://www-unix.globus.org/mail_archive/security/2001/Archive/msg00229.html>.

I'm sure there are ways of clarifying these with real lawyers to make sure
they apply (or find out that they don't apply) to our discussion.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu