Re: libwin32-perl-0.191 (ready for upload and testing)

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003, Nicholas Wourms wrote:

> rkitover wrote:
> > Hi Gerrit,
> >
> > Thanks so much for testing my package! What a mess :)
>
> Gerrit,
>
> Now that it seems we'll be providing perl module packages, I think we
> should come up with some sort of naming standard for consistency.  For
> example, Red Hat prefixes their perl packages with "perl-" and generally
> uses the same case as is found on CPAN.  So if we were to adopt this
> route, this package would be perl-libwin32-0.191-1.

Agreed, FWIW.

> Also, may I suggest we make a "release" subdir especially for perl
> modules on the mirrors (like XFree86)?  This way we can keep the perl
> modules neatly tucked away in their own subdir hierarchy, rather then
> cluttering up the already growing release TLD.  Just a thought...

We already have one - it's called 'release/perl'.  Why not simply put any
perl modules as a subdirectory of that?  And leave the main perl package
in that directory?

> Some other food for thought:
>
> 1) Man pages are good, especially since they can be indexed and keyed.
>     Have builders use make manifypods prior to make install.

Check (i.e., agreed).

> 2) Try not to clobber the perllocal.pod, but rather come up with a way
>     to update it (perhaps regenerate it from a pool of fragments?).

Mmm, something akin to _update_info_dir?

> 3) Make a vendorinstalldir for Cygwin, to keep our mods separate from
>     user's local mods, but provide a stable api for dependencies like
>     mod-perl or what-not.
>
> Cheers,
> Nicholas

Ok, this one's over my head, I'll let you Perl gurus discuss it.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu