Re: emacro 2.8.5 open for voting

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 05:27:46PM -0500, bingalls@nj.rr.com wrote:
> EMacro is a .emacs system that makes Emacs (and XEmacs) easy.
>
> I posted the setup.hint in a previous email.
> The install instructions are at
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/emacro/emacs/doc/install.html?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/html#Quick
>
> Most of you will find everything you need, by viewing the files at
> http://emacro.sourceforge.net/cygwin/
>
> I'm new at this, but I believe I have complied with all the submission
> requirements.  Did I miss a step, or is this as far as I can take it?

I'm not an emacs user so I haven't tested this package, but I think
there's an issue with your postintall script:

-----
#!/bin/sh
#/etc/postinstall/emacro.sh for Cygwin
#Silently overwrite any .emacs or old EMacro version found in /etc/skel
cp -f /etc/defaults/etc/skel/.emacs /etc/skel
cp -fR /etc/defaults/etc/skel/emacs/ /etc/skel
-----

Why overwrite the user's existing config? Check out some of the other
packages deal with this issue, as a random example wget:

-----
#!/bin/sh

VERSION=1.9.1

if [ ! -f /etc/wgetrc ] ; then
    cp /usr/doc/wget-${VERSION}/sample.wgetrc /etc/wgetrc
fi
-----

Also, usually a new package annoucement has ITP or "intent to package" in
the email subject, more fully describes what the package is, and gives
direct links to the files for review without installing. See, for example,
Dr. Volker Zell's ITP for WordNet:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-12/msg00045.html>

I hope this helps.