Re: [RFC] Globally creating a user and a group "root"

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> [snip]
> Another question is this:
>
> Should we actually depend on creating an NT account called "root"?
> This might be already in use by a bunch of users and sysadmins just
> for fun.  Probably we do more often collide with that than we like.
>
> What about using a less common name like, say "cygwin_root" or
> "cygsrv_root" or so.
>
> Corinna

IMO, whoever created the "root" account did it for the same purposes that
you propose to create it.  In an interactive script, we could ask the user
if he wants "root" to be used in the normal Unix sense, and if so, set the
necessary properties (e.g., UID, SID, etc).  If not (or the script is not
interactive), simply warn and revert to using the less common name.  One
problem I foresee is if the user has a "root" account with UID 0, but with
a wrong SID (e.g., the Administrator one).  If you simply add a
"cygwin_root" with UID 0, there will be a UID clash.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu