RE: HEADSUP maintainers of: links mod_php4 mod_ssl mutt wget

> On Wed, Oct 01, 2003 at 04:16:10AM -0500, Gary R. Van Sickle wrote:
> > Just gotta get the #&*(@#& Muttrc installing, which is giving me
> fits, and the
> > new mutt is set.  Muttrc is where the incorrect
> "/usr/local/whatever/manual.txt"
> > is coming from.  If we could ignore that problem I'm ready to go now AFAIK.
>
> I don't quite understand that problem, actually.

Yep, that's where I am too. ;-)

>  mutt has a Muttrc.head.in
> file which defines the path as
>
> macro generic <f1> "!less @docdir@/manual.txt\n" "Show Mutt documentation"
> macro index   <f1> "!less @docdir@/manual.txt\n" "Show Mutt documentation"
> macro pager   <f1> "!less @docdir@/manual.txt\n" "Show Mutt documentation"
>
> from which Muttrc.head and in turn Muttrc is generated.  Looking into
> the Makefile it seems to me, that you just have to define
>
>   --docdir=/usr/share/doc/mutt
>
> on the configure command line.  Did you try that?

Well, --with-docdir, and yes, it does change Muttrc.head and the built Muttrc.
But when it comes time to install, it picks the prebuilt one from the original
source instead, which is the 'usr/local/' one.  Hmm, I suppose I could just try
renaming that one....

> There's another problem anyway.  AFAICS your mutt package has no postinstall
> script which creates /etc/Muttrc only if it doesn't exist.  Instead it
> overwrites /etc/Muttrc on every install.  What about installing Muttrc into
> /etc/defaults/etc and writing a postinstall script which just copies that
> Muttrc into /etc if it doesn't exist already.

IIRC, we discussed this a while back, and (again IIRC), /etc/Muttrc was fair
game since it could be overridden per-user.  In fact this is codified on
cygwin.com/setup.html:

"If the package has any global settings (ie in files in /etc) that are not
overrideable on a per user basis (sshd, as a daemon, is an example of this) do
not include the relevant config files in your package."

> This naturally leads to the problem that users which already have a
> Muttrc file will not get the above fixed path to manual.txt.  I'd
> think adding a prominent hint in the announcement would be sufficient
> for now.

Well, I could always use "install --backup" as well, if that would be acceptable
and if I can find exactly where to put it.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Brewer.  Patriot.