Re: php cli?

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Hi to all.
> Only want to ask a question: to have the CLI version of PHP (i.e. as a
> shell scripting language), which builds from the very same sources of
> course, should a new package be built?
> Should I do the patch and send it to mod_php maintaner? (actually is
> just a little different line in the "configure", as far a sI remember)

I think that's what the "external-source:" directive in setup.hint is
for...

> Of course PHP can be both useful as a web scripting language and as a
> shell scripting language and PEAR and "common parts" should be installed
> only once, maybe with a separate package required by both mod_php and
> cli_php.

I'm guessing there's nothing wrong with cli_php requiring mod_php, at
least initially, as anyone who's likely to use php for shell scripting
will probably have apache with mod_php installed anyway...

> Well I can do that I guess, expecially if I'm not the only one to find
> it useful (I'm just too lazy to learn bash scripting better, e.g. to do
> a numeric "for").

for ((i=0; i<10; i++)); do echo $i; done
for i in `seq 0 9`; do echo $i; done

The latter one also works in "sh"...  :-p
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu