Re: readshortcut app for cygutils

Jörg Schaible wrote:

Hi Chuck,

About the app itself: I think it should provide the result in either unix format (-u/--unix) or windows format (-w/--windows), without requiring cygpath.exe -- instead, use the cygwin functions cygwin_conv_to_posix_path() and cygwin_conv_to_win32_path().

I don't think so. Look at the code of cygpath and you'll see that these two
functions are only one half of the functionality. If Rob has to provide -w
someone will ask for absolute paths or short names, etc. So better have
a posixish tool and use cygpath for general conversion.

Just my 2c (Cygpath contributor).

So you're saying that the output should always be in unix format? I would prefer that, too -- but the original example gave the output in full windows non-backslashified program-space-files glory...

Please, somebody, please, find the nitwit back in 1989 who thought it'd be a great idea to show off the nifty new space-allowed file name convention in windows3.0 by requiring all programs to be installed into a "Program Files" directory...

I can't think of a more deserving guy for the "sign him up on every porn-spam mailing list on the planet" treatment...

--
Chuck