RE: Re: [update] base-files

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Morrison, John wrote:
>
>> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>>>

>>> <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j-n-s.morrison/john/cygwin/base-
>>> files/md5sum>

>>> 5d112cfd0b17195e7dcef6cc174cb4d1
>>>>
>>> <http://homepage.ntlworld.com/j-n-s.morrison/john/cygwin/base-
>>> files/base-fil
>>>
>>> Uploaded.
>>>
>>> Corinna
>>
>> Thanks Corinna.
>>
>> Since this only affects new installations should I announce this?
>> J.
>
> John,
>
> Is there a particular reason this cannot be used to repair existing
> installations at user request (i.e., a flag to force overwriting the
> user settings)?  Suppose there was a script that sat in /sbin, for
> example, so it wouldn't be called accidentally.  That script could be
> used to overwrite user settings (e.g., with a "-f" flag), as well as
> called by the postinstall script (with no flags).  Does this sound
> like a good idea?

humm, could do.  I'll give it some thought (and play ;) and do it
for the next version, OK? :)

J.

to any third party without our permission. There is no intention to
create any legally binding contract or other binding commitment through
the use of this electronic communication unless it is issued in accordance
with the Experian Limited standard terms and conditions of purchase or
other express written agreement between Experian Limited and the recipient
Experian Limited (registration number 653331)