Re: gc-6.1 - a new package for review

elfyn@is.ubertales.co.uk wrote:
On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Jari Aalto+mail.linux wrote:

The Boehm-Demers-Weiser conservative garbage collector library has
been ported (used by 'chase'). See:
http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/

Available at:

http://www.tierra.dyndns.org:81/cygwin/gc

This is rather old version, wouldn't 6.2alpha6 be better?

Please provide absolute links in the future, especially when your site seems to only answer to wget.

Jari

@ gc
sdesc: "library: The Boehm-Demers-Weiser conservative garbage collector"
ldesc: "A drop-in replacement of malloc to support on the fly garbage collection."
skip:
curr: 6.1
# prev: version
# test: version
category: Libs
# requires: package[ package...]
# external-source: package

[...]

This is wrong, please split it into at least two separate packages, the runtime library and the development library. Yes, you can build a shared runtime library on cygwin (I currently have done so). So we definitely should include that. Also the package name is rather ambiguous. I would recommend:

libgc6: contains the runtime library
boehm-gc-devel: contains headers, static libraries, and import libraries
boehm-gc-doc: contains the various API documentation

I happen to prefer Method #2 because it is very organized and automated. Also it is very easy for maintenance. However, please make sure to use one of those two, as we try to preserve some uniformity in our packages.

Finally, please read up in the archives regarding cygwin, libtool, and the rest of the autotools. As I said, I had no problems generating a shared version of libgc and libgccpp. Since I'm a nice guy, I've gone ahead and attached a patch to upgrade boehm-gc v6.2alpha6 to the latest autotool scripts. I've also fixed the Makefile to conditionally link the libraries in a proper manner so that we get dll's. Please consider using it as a basis for your revised submission.

Cheers,
Nicholas