Re: Intent to package: rpm-4.1

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003, Charles Wilson wrote:

> Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>

> > While it would be nice in principle to get rpm working in Cygwin, it
> > wouldn't be particularly useful unless it shares the installed database
> > with setup.exe...  If it does, then its features, such as finding a
> > package containing a particular file, would be really great additions to
> > the repertoire of command-line tools (even if it only read the database,
> > i.e. installs were disabled).  Just my 2c.
> > IOW, if it shares the database with setup, it gets my vote.
>
> First things first, Igor.  First we simply need a nice cygwin port.
> Then we need (tools? library?) to support bi-directional data sharing
> between /var/lib/rpm/ and /etc/setup/.  Then we need a mingw port of
> librpm and the above tools/library.  Then setup can link against these
> two libraries, and ...
>
> Did you want to wait until ALL of the above was complete, before
> allowing an rpm package into cygwin?  If so, then you're simply
> dreaming, and your conditional approval is really just a disguised veto.
>
> Besides, a sequence similar to the above is ALSO necessary for dpkg
> support in setup -- yet that didn't stop us from adding a stand-alone
> port of dpkg & friends to the distro.
>
> FWIW, this gets my vote too -- as proposed.  We'll probably need another
> go-round of this once Dario gets the packages up for inspection.
> --Chuck

Umm, yeah, upon rereading I realized that not only did I not say what I
wanted to, but I don't even know what I was saying at that point...

What I *meant* to say was that if the eventual goal is to share the
database with setup, it would be useful and gets my vote.  Now that I
thought about it (and read your comments), I realized that that's exactly
what the eventual goal would be.  So scratch the conditional from my
approval, please. :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha at cs dot nyu dot edu

Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
  -- Leto II