Re: PCRE package for consideration

Earnie Boyd wrote:

Your problem is most likely not libtool but more the dependency on auto export that causes the wrong exports from the dll. To overcome this you must explicitly specify what to export from the pcreposix dll.

The same auto export functionality is used for both. This is one of the pitfalls of auto export.

In my not so humble opinion, the above is pure misinformation and FUD.

Earnie, what the HELL do you have against auto-import? This is the second time in less than a week you've tried to discourage people -- on cygwin, not mingw -- from using a perfectly good feature of our build tools.

And if you DO have issues with auto-import, why the HELL didn't you raise your concerns at ANY point over the last two F****** years?

Damn, I'm pissed off. After two f****** years of hair pulling, we FINALLY have an officially released libtool that -- provided the Makefile.am's and configure.ac's are updated to modern releases -- transparently builds DLLs on cygwin. Truly, it's almost effortless. I finally believe that upstream maintainers will now begin to accept our patches (which really just boil down to "fixup your configure.ac and Makefile.am's, and run autoreconf). Nirvana is here...

And within DAYS Earnie, you start dissing the whole underpinnings of the entire effort. Talk about a buzz kill. What the F*** did I waste my gott-damned time on libtool for? <geez, I can't believe how surpassingly pissed off I am right now...>

I'll write another message addressing the specifics of PCRE after I'ved cooled down. Short version: handcrafted Makefile.in not setting -Lpath correctly (variantly) for build-in-place, and relink-to-install(if necessary). The same thing probably happens on linux.

--Chuck