queue semi-flushed

Well, I've reviewed / applied the bulk of the queue.

There is a new snapshot of HEAD being uploaded as I type.

To get this released we need to work through the bugs in README.

Given the number of features already added to HEAD, I consider new
feature patchs lowest priority, and patches solving any bug in the
README high priority, at least until we branch and release HEAD.

Max, I'd appreciate it if you could reflect this in your (VERY useful)
pending patch lists.

Rob