Re: Default script installation

Forwarding to the list:
John Morrison wrote:
>> From: Max Bowsher
>>
>> John Morrison wrote:
>>> <http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2003-01/msg00059.html>
>>>
>>> Was anything ever decided about this?  Pierre wants
>>> me to update the /etc/profile package which would
>>> be an ideal first candidate for this.
>>
>> You can't guarantee that autodep packages will be installed at the
>> right time.
>>
>> How about including a copy of the update-defaults postinstall script
>> in every package that installs files to /etc/defaults ?
>
> I didn't want to force folks to do anything :(

And now replying:

The autodep method just about works for Base packages, but is simply not an
option for any non-Base packages. So if any non-Base packages are to use
/etc/defaults/, it's really not feasible at all. The only options are:

1) Postinstall script in every package using /etc/defaults
(Not too much of a problem, surely? Just include 1 file. Note that a package
can include more than 1 postinstall script. No need even to merge into
existing - just include alongside)

2) Enhancement to setup.exe to handle 'triggers' of some kind.
Very unlikely to happen soon.

Max