Re: Unusual request: get bison 1.35 back as prev version

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 04:09:12PM +0100, Volker Quetschke wrote:
>Unfortunately the OpenOffice 1.0.2 is a stable release and not all
>changes made it into the codebase, therefore my request to get an
>official (previous) bison 1.35 back. Then the build instructions could
>state that you need a bison 1.35, which is available as previous from
>the official cygwin mirrors with setup.exe.
>
>Am I asking so much? It is just putting these lines:
>
>[prev]
>version: 1.35-1
>install: release/bison/bison-1.35-1.tar.bz2 155215
>fc14096f9aac33990b31a24495bcbdcd
>source: release/bison/bison-1.35-1-src.tar.bz2 612262
>8119c95340c5c58cbc647e35a3f10575
>
>in the bison setup hint and put the files back in the directory.

The problem with this scenario is that it requires that a user revert
their version of bison just for this package.  It also assumes that
bison is not going to change.  That is not the case.  There is a new
version of bison coming soon.  So the old version will soon be 1.75.

So, if I put back 1.35 today and you published instructions to drop back
to "prev" then they will only work for a limited amount of time anyway.

>Then, and not any time earlier, I will probably put the bison package
>to a special OOo download mirror, and I propably will have to re-create
>the source archive also, but that's not your business.
>
>I'd like to have as less steps needed to get the build environment
>complete as possible.
>
>Christopher: It would help the OOo comunity a lot to get this "previous"
>package, and it is only temporally needed, as the next stable release
>will certainly work with the newest, latest, greatest bison.

Can I suggest that a much less intrusive solution would be to provide
patches to the affected .y files to get them to work with the latest
version of bison?  Then people just have to apply a patch and move
on, rather than having to download an executable and figure out what
to do with it.

So, no, I'm not going to put the old version of bison back.  I'm sorry.