Re: Setup of default configuration files

On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 02:12:04PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
>I think that for maximum immediate gain, it is worth considering this:
>Patch generic-build-script and mknetrel to detect certain files
>(/usr/info/*.info and /etc/defaults/*) in a package, and add a postinstall
>script if found. Note that then any package containing info or defaults
>files will contain /etc/postinstall/setup-info.sh or setup-defaults.sh. This
>has the rather convenient effect that if multiple packages with these are
>installed at once, the scripts will overwrite each other, with the action
>only being performed once.

I'm not going to patch mknetrel.  The logical place to handle this is in
the one single point of control that is guaranteed to be used by
everyone.  You're suggesting that two people change their packages and
other people (like Corinna for instance) change their behavior.  To me
the obvious solution isn't inconveniencing a bunch of people, it is
adding the functionality to setup.exe.