Re: setup.exe: Clues about missing scroll bar in package list

On Wednesday 2002-12-11, maxb@ukf.net wrote:
> Hugh Greene <cygw32@tameter.org> wrote:
>
> > I've seen some discussion about
> > font size problems and losing the scroll bar in the package list
> > window, including a request for debug suggestions.  Since this
> > problem affects me, I thought I'd do some digging.
>
> The digging that followed looked useful.
> Can you explain how I might reproduce the bug on my system?

Thanks for the reply, Max.  I've also seen mutterings on this list about a
resizeable setup window, which might do away with the need to fix this
problem.

In the meantime, I can tell you how to reproduce them under Windows 2000, and
the mechanism should be similar on other Windows versions.

You need to set your display to use "large fonts" (or at least, larger than
normal).  Be warned that this requires a reboot (oh, I love Windows) and may
require you to have your Windows install CD handy.  Go to the Display
Properties Control Panel (or just right-click on the desktop and select
"Properties" -- same thing).  Go to the Settings tab and click the
"Advanced..." button (bottom right); this pops up another property sheet.  The
General tab of this one should have, at the top, a drop-down box under the
heading "Font Size:".  The default is "Small Fonts" but you can also select
"Large Fonts" or, as I have, "Other...".  This last choice pops up a third(!)
dialog box where you can type your chosen scaling into a combo box or drag the
rather cool "stretchy ruler" control at the bottom.  You can repeat the
procedure and go back to "Small Fonts" later (with another reboot).

I have my fonts set to "150%" ("144 pixels per inch"), since I have a
1600x1200 display.  This breaks a small number of programs, but just enough to
be irritating, so if you work out how to fix it, I'd love to see this written
up as a Windows FAQ somewhere!

Hope that helps,

Hugh