New autotools...

It looks like there is work going on to update gcc and binutils to use
more recent versions of the autotools.

Nathanael Nerode seems to be handling the gcc conversion (on the 3.4
branch?)

Klee Dienes seems to be attempting the same for HEAD binutils.

Of course, "most recent" seems to be defined as "autoconf-2.56,
automake-1.7.1, and libtool-1.4.3" even though
libtool-1.4.3 is DEAD, there will be NO 1.4.4 version, even though
1.4.3 contains known bugs.
libtool-1.5 is expected Real Soon Now(tm).
autoconf-2.57 was released Dec 3.

However, gcc, binutils, and newlib+winsup all live in the same main CVS
tree...and I'm not sure if Nathanael was being facetious when he asked
for patches:

Re: [RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions.
http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-12/msg00204.html

to update newlib and winsup to these autotool versions.

If this does happen, it will cause havoc for self-hosted cygwin
systems...since we tie autoconf-2.x to libtool-CVS/1.5, not
libtool-1.4.x. I'm going ask on the libtool list for a 1.5 ETA, and
might mention its imminence on the binutils list. But Chris -- you
might want to jump into that binutils thread before somebody goes committing stuff to the winsup tree...

Of course, Nathanael *might* have been asking for those patches in a
tongue-in-cheek manner; I couldn't tell.

--Chuck