Re: Detecting NetworkSimplicity in setup.exe

Robert Collins <rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-11-18 at 12:01, Max Bowsher wrote:
>> I've just installed the latest version of NetworkSimplicity
>> (renaming my Cygwin registry keys first).
>>
>> I propose a 3-level system for detecting problematical mount tables:
>>
>> When NetworkSimplicity is installed, setup can simply look for
>> "OpenSSH on Windows *" in
>> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\. In this
>> case, warn the user that Cygwin and NetworkSimplicity are mutually
>> incompatible (perhaps link to a webpage with a detailed
>> explanation?), and terminate the install.
>
> Hmm, I'm not keen on this one. It would be nice to coexist.

We can't, because of the "two cygwin1.dlls == bad things." problem.

So, basically NetworkSimplicity would have to start using a custom build of
cygwin, with all shared mem ids, registry paths, etc, changed.

I don't see any problem with being mutually exclusive, though. If someone
wants Cygwin, they don't need NetworkSimplicity.
( Better still would be for NetworkSimplicity to metamorphose from a binary
distribution to a HOWTO )

Max.