Re: init and agetty packages available for review/upload. (fwd)

On Sun, Nov 10, 2002 at 01:41:54PM -0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
> Sergey Okhapkin <sos@prospect.com.ru> wrote:
>
> > Because these scripts are accessible for everyone and may change
> > global configuration settings, these scripts are for for cygwin
> > administrator only.
>
> They won't be able to do anything that the user didn't have priviledges to
> do anyway, but I suppose they could confuse a user.
> I suppose there is an argument for putting admin-only scripts in /usr/sbin.
> But balance that against increased chance of them not being noticed, and
> change of a Cygwin convention.

I agree with Max here.  I don't see how these scripts could do more harm
than any other application in /bin, e. g. cygrunsrv.  Especially I don't
think this design decision is actually bound to putting two new packages
into the Cygwin distro.  I'm not against discussing this but we can do
this completely independant from your new packages.  First of all, the
*existence* of such a script is important to help users setting up things.
Putting all these scripts into another place is the next step.

Red Hat, Inc.