Re: init and agetty packages available for review/upload.

--- Sergey Okhapkin <sos@prospect.com.ru> wrote:
> I'm going to maintain the cygwin ports of init and agetty packages.

Thanks!

> You can get the source code and binary packages at
> http://users.rcn.com/sokhapkin/release/.

Usually we send full URLs to the packages...

> agetty allows to login into Windows
> NT box via a serial cable connected to a com port.

I'll have to grab a cable tomorrow to make sure this actually
works. Should agetty require 'sysvinit' and 'login'?
I'd also like to see some information in /usr/doc/Cygwin/agetty*README
about Windows-vs-Unix devices. I'm assuming /dev/ttyS0 == COM1?
(I've never used my serial ports in Cygwin.)

> category: System
> requires: cygwin cygrunsrv
> sdesc: "A System-V Init Clone"
> ldesc: "Init  is the parent of all processes.  Its primary role is
> to create processes from  a  script  stored  in  the  file
> /etc/inittab  (see  inittab(5)).   This  file  usually has
> entries which cause init to spawn gettys on each line that
> users  can  log in.  It also controls autonomous processes
> required by any particular system."

While I really like the idea of having an init running, I don't
think that simply selecting the package should make it install as a
service with the postinstall script (!). You might take a look at
how Corinna did sshd.
Also, the cygutils package already includes /usr/bin/last.exe
but I'm not sure what to do about this since I bet Chuck took it from
some sysvinit package and wouldn't mind moving it to its canonical
location once the sysvinit package gets together.
Some other questions that come to mind:
--any thoughts on more support for runlevels in inittab?
--does this work on Win9x/ME?
--can this init actaully spawn other processes/services? If so, I
  could see it becoming very central to many cygwin installations