Customizing setup.exe

I find myself regularly customizing and rebuilding setup
in order to dummy-proof it for our internal users. I'm
specifically doing two things:
 - providing the correct defaults for our proxy server
 - pointing the mirror list at a local archive that I
   rsync periodically with the latest packages (which
   generally obviates the need for the new defaults for
   the proxy server, but what the heck).

The latter allows me time to test new packages (in order
to insulate local users from occasional problems) and
assures some degree of uniformity of package versions.

So...

I find myself changing the following lines and rebuilding
setup every time setup changes:

in net.cc, load_dialog():
  net_proxy_port = 80;

in res.rc, STRINGTABLE:
    IDS_MIRROR_LST          "http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/mirrors.lst";

in state.cc, globals:
  char *net_proxy_host;
  int net_proxy_port;

I'd like to make this process a bit more automatic, so
that you can simply specify these as additional options
to configure. Unfortunately, I don't quite know how to
do that, since I'm not familiar with autotools. I got a
copy of the book, but I'd really appreciate a pointer
in the right direction. Setup appears to be making use
of some of the more arcane autotool features. I really
don't have the time right now to figure it all out, but
this seems like a good learning opportunity if I can
start off with the right focus. I can get at the CVS
version, so I'll provide a proper patch once I figure it
out.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Jerry