Re: CMake 1.4-3 (Initial investigation)

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 09:18:35AM -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:

Hi Corinna,

I would like to see the cmake stuff in cygwin. Is there a problem with the way I packaged/ announced it?

This belongs to the cygwin-apps ML.

The actual problem is, that nobody looked into the package so far
and nobody voted for it.

I'll vote for it, provided someone else checks it to see if I missed anything.

I have checked it out tentitively. As I'm stuck on some other personal packaging issues atm, I haven't had the opportunity to fully test it. However the binary installs and returns help info when requested. I did find the documentation directory to be rather weak in content. I would highly suggest copying the pdf/rtf documentation along with the examples to said directory. This is in case the user is offline or cannot go to the website for some reason.

Next, the lack of man (and/or info) pages is rather distressing. Are the gnumake man pages fully relevant to cmake? If not, I would highly suggest the author considier making some for a future release.

Also, is the source pristine or is it patched just for cygwin? I have no clue since the source package contains no documentation regarding this. I would encourage the maintainer to go with one of the two packaging formats on:

http://cygwin.com/setup.html

At a bare minimum, you should provide a CYGWIN-PATCHES directory containing the setup.hint, compiling instructions, and the patch (if any) you used so that the person can revert to pristine sources. If you need an example, please feel free to check out one of the src packages on our mirrors.

So I do hope someone will have the opportunity to check this out as well. It looks like a wonderful utility!

Cheers,
Nicholas

P.S. - Since this is a critique, it is more appropriate for this list only. Heaven knows the main list gets enough traffic as it is...