Re: libtoolize and glib-1.2.10

Lapo Luchini wrote:

B)He could try adding AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL right before AM_PROG_LIBTOOL in configure.in, which should tell configure that building dlls is "OK". However, I will note that the end result is "undefined symbol Win@Main16" %50 of the time.

Nope, it still says the package doesn't support them...

C)Can you help him by referring him to the best documentation for the whole process? I would try, but I learned mostly from trial and error. (A howto for cygwin really should be written...).

Can you nonetheless give me some links?
I'm doing some google on the words "automake", "autotool", but found nothing really enlightening

D)As I have told you on countless occasions, I use autoupdate to get me started. I then 'diff -u configure.in~ configure.in' to see what it changed. After evaluating what it changed, I will then go in and hand edit/revert anything else. This method works quite well in that autoupdate 99% of the time does all the busywork for me, leaving it to me to fix up any special cases or macros.

OK. I can see what is changed... but I don't understamd what it means ^_^
I guess I'll pay "info automake" a major visit... it will take some time, though.

BTW: using autoupdate/libtoolize/automake/autoheader/autoconf I end up having lotsa warnings

http://sources.redhat.com/autobook/ is a good place to get started, be sure to do the exercises included.

Then read the following:
http://www.gnu.org/manual/autoconf-2.53/html_node/index.html
http://www.gnu.org/manual/automake-1.6.1/html_node/automake_toc.html
http://www.gnu.org/manual/libtool-1.4.2/html_node/libtool_toc.html
http://www.murrayc.com/learning/linux/automake/automake.shtml

After that, brush up on what's changed by checking out the info pages for the various utilities, since libtool is a CVS version and automake is v1.6.2.

Then check out Chuck's dllhelpers, which contain exercises for people to get used to using the autotools on Cygwin:

http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/dll-stuff/index.html

This should take about 1-2 weeks to learn, I'd estimate. You'll be glad you did, since about 85% of the packages out there use some form of the autotools. If you run into problems, your best resource is the Autoconf/Automake/Libtool mailing lists. Just send a question there with the output, and they should be able to help.

Cheers,
Nicholas